Garden Rooms are considered to be permitted development, not requiring an application for planning permission*, provided all the following conditions are met. At ITTGR we will work with you to make sure all the criteria is met;
• Garden Rooms must be single storey with a maximum eaves height of 2.5 metres and maximum overall height of 4 metres with a dual pitched roof, or 3 metres in any other case.
• If the Garden Rooms is within 2 metres of the property boundary the whole building should not exceed 2.5 metres in height.
• You can go up to 50% of the area of all your gardens.
• The area of your garden is all your land except the part the house stands on, so the area includes the front garden, side gardens and back garden, less the area of any other buildings, fuel tanks etc.
• No buildings are to go in front of the front elevation of the house
• Conservation areas; you cannot build at the front or side, but you can place a garden room in the back garden
• Listed buildings; need full planning permission.
• Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty; max size of 10sq metres at least 20 metres away from the house.
• Any new building must not itself be separate, self-contained, living accommodation and must not have a microwave antenna.
*Should your garden room need planning permission (does not meet the above criteria), we can provide a full planning service for you. From design through to submitting a planning application